Thursday, December 27, 2007

Awkward Moments

Some how I choose the position, or rather God chose me for me, that I live in the awkward moments. This year feels FULL of awkward moments.

Christmas Eve... guess who forgot the words "In the name of the..... uh uh.. Son.. nope that's not it... Oh.. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." In front of the whole church. That's right gone.

First time I preside over Holy Communion. I do the Lord's Supper in the Prayers of the Day. DOH! So... Holy Communion comes and we just do it again!

Yesterday the Pastor was gone and I received my first call that someone had passed away. I called over to the house to see if the wife was doing okay and offered to come out there and visit. She was so upset and some other members of the congregation had just got there that she was being so weird and awkward. And of course she wanted the Pastor... which I am only the Intern...also gets awkward. She called later that evening to tell me when we were meeting with the Funeral Director and that was a lot less awkward. But still! Being the Intern is awkward in its self. Making your first I'm sorry your loved one has passed away can I do anything phone call is also awkward.

Today we went to meet with the Funeral Director and the family for this funeral and the wife shook PM's hand and said something about it being cold. She then shook my hand and said something about it being warmer. Which I followed up by saying, "That's because I'm warmer." Who says that! The Funeral Director had to really hold himself back from making a comment. Ugh.... Awkward! That has to be a Friends moment. I feel like that weird person when they get into social situations just says stupid stuff because they are nervous. Did Chandler do that?

And there are many more moments like these. Not enough time to write about them all. I need to just have a hole around me that I can crawl into once and a while.

3 comments:

~moe~ said...

Dearest Chandler,
This is why you have friends, a blog and a fabulous hubby.

First - "in the name of the" why couldn't the son come first? Is it really so bad if you leave out the Father - I mean, so the Son comes from the Father. People know the Father is there - it's like that whole chicken/egg fiasco that continues today.

Second - nothing is wrong with saying the Lord's prayer more than once. Maybe people will get a better idea about the true meaning of those words if they say them more often and at different parts of the service throughout. Maybe you should try starting with the Lord's Prayer before confession, then add it in again after the Gospel, then again during the prayers and one more time, just for kicks during communion.

Last - funeral visits are never easy. I'm sure the widow had nothing against you personally - it was more of a "we know him a little better" and familiarity is sometimes vital at those moments. And probably the only one who picked up on the warmer comment was the funeral guy (and if it was one of the Minnehaha Funeral guys - they're all cool - grew up with a couple of them).

You are a fabulous individual. Everyone has moments like these - it keeps you human and helps your parishioners to know that you are human and not above them. (sometimes people get that idea that pastors are or think they are better than others) Just keep smiling your awesome and addictive smile and hold their hands. You're doing great!

Baritonality said...

God still loves you and so do I.

(That's the best I could do after Moe's wonderful comment, she's far better than I).

rachel said...

there's nothing like an awkward moment to make a funeral better! i hope things have gone better for you lately. :) happy new year!