Sunday, January 20, 2008

Suprising Moments

Quick thought/update

So the lady who lost her husband in the post about awkward moments, well I decided that I would try it again and see if I could go out there and visit. It's been a couple of weeks since her husband passed away and I was thinking that it would be good for me to visit her. And I think I wanted a little bit of a challenge since I was kind of denied the first time.

I tried calling on Thursday and there was no answer. I saw her on Sat evening at the Soup Supper and talked to her for a little bit. I finally asked her if it would be okay if I came out to her place and visited. She said she would really like that and seemed to really want me to come. I told her I would call her on Monday and set-up a time to come out and visit.

This morning she came up to me and told me that she checked her schedule and Monday is open so that would work for her. It makes me really glad that I tried to connect again. Kind of a good lesson for me that sometimes it takes people a little bit to connect and in those situations people aren't always thinking right. It also is a good lesson to keep talking to people and keep communication up.

This is where I think ministry really happens!

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

Awesome! Grief is the hardest time in a person's life. Gil Grissom used to say, "We meet people on the worst day of their lives." You were totally Gil (or maybe Catherine) earlier, now is your opportunity to be a Nate Fisher, one of kindness and comforting that she probably needs now more than ever. Perhaps her family have continued to their lives (e.g. kids back to school, brothers/sisters back to their own homes, etc.) and she feels a little alone. Well done in reconnecting with her. You rock.

rachel said...

it's always nice to be able to connect with someone like that. sometimes it's really hard to get past first impressions, especially if they're awkward or a bit negative.

ps: i'm watching csi as i'm typing this, and i find it amusing. that is all.

have a good week!