Thursday, January 10, 2008

Insomnia

I can't sleep.... feeling a case of insomnia coming on. Never a good thing.... so I will write about my random day.

First of all I have decided that if I just hang out in the church and listen to all the gossip and drama that goes on, I no longer need drama in my own life. All the drama space is filled just by listening to others. I think that this might be a good thing and help make my life more simple. Getting the drama out there will make more room for fun in my life... I like fun!

Tonight we went to St Dysmas which is the prison ministry at the state penitentiary. It was really interesting. It was really awesome to watch people really get into praising God. In listening to the pastor preach I realized how much easier it is to give the Gospel and really to receive it when you aren't in middle class America. The message seems so much more urgent and relevant when you are sitting with people who need to hear that they are loved and forgiven. The random part about the night was that I saw the classmate that I blogged about earlier (http://spish-fishgoldammer.blogspot.com/2007/12/manic-monday.html). It was good to see him and talk with him. I really feel like God put me there tonight for a reason. He has only been there for about a week now and this was the first time he came to the church service. I tried to encourage him to come every week. I learned that he had been going to a church in A-town since it all happened. It was good to hear that Pastor T had been keeping in contact with him and was making sure he is doing okay. He was asking me how life was, I felt kind of guilty for doing so well and being where I'm at in life. He was asking about other mutual friends and how they were doing. Told him that CH was in Sweden for work and that he is an engineer now.... felt kind of guilty again. It just makes me think how things change and how close we all are to a stupid mistake. He is now in prison for 20 years. He hopes he will get parole in 1-2 years. He made it seem like that wouldn't be too long.... I can't imagine 1-2 years of my life just gone!

It's just been such a weird week. From being in the hospital in Winner, SD to seeing an old classmate who I knew really well in prison. What a week for reflection that is for sure!

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

reflection weeks are very good. i even like reflection hours.

We do need to plan a Sara/h day!