Sunday, April 13, 2008

Limitations

Today while I was sitting in church I was thinking about human limitations. I know I should be thinking about Jesus, but my mind was a drift on our limitations as humans. Well, maybe my own encounter with my limitations as a human.

I am so bad at the word "no." I hate to say it, I'm bad at it. I always look like I'm constipated when someone asks me something that I can't do. I get that look on my face like I would really like to do it but I have to use that dreaded word... no.

Why can't I be all things to all people. Why can't I be a wife, mom, pastor, sister, daughter, friend... and do them all perfectly? When I put it down in words all I want to say is.. why of course you can't do it all! But in the midst of life we want to think that we can do it all. That nothing can stop us from having and doing everything.

We all know that this is not possible... in the less crazy side of our brains, but for some reason still push ourselves to be all to our families, to ourselves, and to everyone around us.

Limitations. Do they help us to remember that we are not God. And when we smack back into them again we understand again that we need more then ourselves. That we need others to get us through this life. And sometimes it's not pretty. Sometimes we can't be as good of a friend as we wish we could be. But in the end it is what it is. It is life.

I just don't have to like it all the time.

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

I'm hugging you from here.

We as humans don't like limitations, especially our generation. We're taught to shoot for the stars, that the sky's the limit (which if you think about it...those two statements don't make sense together), and that we can be anything we want to be.

And we want that - we want to be everything. But we can't - not alone at least...we have to rely on others.

Can I help? I am still hugging you.

rachel said...

Dear Sarah,

You can say "no" to me anytime. I will understand, and I will still be your friend, even if I tease you about it (which I will, because I'm like that), I still love you. Being one of those people who has trouble saying no, I recognize how difficult it is to say it. For such a short word, is sure takes a lot to commit to it.

If there is anything I can do to help relieve some of the stress, I'm just a phone call (or email) away. :)

See you soon!