Tuesday, September 2, 2008

1st Day of 1st Week / Should Have Been A Super Hero

So the seminary does this thing called "1st Week" It's for all the new students to come and get orientated to the seminary and all that is offered here.

I'm trying really hard to remember what it felt like to be the "new person." To now know anything about campus or what was going on. To have expectations and nervousness about what is ahead. It's interesting to see all of their faces and to watch people making new connections. I'm trying to remember what that was like in this space, in this place. Trying to be as welcoming as possible and ease some the craziness of the day. The infodesk is suppose to know everything. Know exactly who to contact in a matter of seconds. And at the same time sit here and look pretty.

Over the weekend I found that I missed coming up to work at 7:30am and having a good hour to just ease into the day. That hour that no one is really up yet and I have time to sit here and think. I don't usually like getting up early but for some reason have really enjoyed it. Maybe it's just my body preparing me to be a Mom. Weird!

Just a quick complaint for the day.... So I just got a call at the desk and of course someone else is not doing their job, aka checking messages. The person calling can't leave a message. The other phone number that I have feeds back into the full voicemail. There isn't anything I can do! BUT because I'm the infodesk I am magically suppose to run the seminary. So I transferred this person to someone else that does a little bit of booking rooms and now hope that I don't get another phone call from this lady. I really should have been born a super hero! Let's be honest...

I have now been asked about 6 times how people get their mail and how they get a mailbox. Just because we sit infront of the mailboxes and mailroom we now need to know everything about the mail. Soomething tells me that it would be better planning on the mailrooms part if they were actually here in the early mornings of first week to help field some of those questions. I know.. I'm just a guiness and I'm sure the first person to ever this! Once again... should have been born a super hero!

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

You are a superhero. Why did I sigh with disgust and distress with the Voice Mail thing...why didn't she set up a backup to check her voice mail while she was away? Why? HELLO! It's First Week! There are going to be problems! UGH!

And the mailroom - that will never change. We suggested that back in the day and we got the same comment as usual, "They can just come back when we're open." grrr

You are the Superhero. I'm just going to keep telling you that. You are a SUPERHERO!!!!