Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Being A Good Lutheran

How can I possibly be a Lutheran.. hang out at a Lutheran institution and not drink coffee?!?!?! Not only am I tempted on a daily basis, but now I'm tempted on a minute by minute bases. It's like being a food addict and sitting at a buffet all day. Vowing to ones self not to eat anything. Doesn't happen! Can't happen.

Justification for my actions:
Eric and I are Lutheran ... therefore the baby will grow-up in the Lutheran tradition. Being a "good" Lutheran means that you drink a lot of coffee. Support the Fair Trade Coffee and stuff (also thinking globally). Because I am being a "good" mom, I need to slowly introduce my child to the finer things in the Lutheran tradition. I wouldn't want my child to grow-up feeling left out ever time there is coffee served... what kind of mother would I be?!?!

So:
Today I gave into the coffee. It's a slippery slope really. I figure I'm in the 3rd trimester and I can slowly introduce caffeine to the child. That way it's not such a shocker someday. I got half regular and half decaf. People say just drink decaf but I really love the kick it gives me. That doesn't make me a horrible person because I believe that I am not the only American that enjoys this feeling.

Therefore:
I am a happier person now. I can handle the million questions about the mailroom. I can handle the same little music ditty playing on a video over and over and over for 5 hours again today. I can handle questions about where the bathrooms are (which are located directly behind me and the sign is big and to my right). I can handle anything with a little bit of coffee!

Life IS good!

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

Maybe this is my problem, not only with my theology but also when I worked there.

I hate coffee.

Please don't shun me. I'm still a nice person and fun to hang out with.