Sunday, October 26, 2008

Community

Tonight I was just thinking about community. What it means to be a part of a community and how important that is. I think that's what I miss about internship the most, being part of a community. A church community, a town community. Usually it takes awhile to build those relationships, figure out the system, where you fit in. Walking in as the "pastor" you get a different in, both within the church and in the town. It always takes time to build those bonds and earn people's trust, but becoming part of the community happens so much faster . I miss that.

I have a community here at Luther. And it was good to get back and see so many friends and colleagues but with not much time left it's different and not many people want to get attached. I know I am one of them. I have my people and I'm okay with that. It's also hard to really be part of the community too. There is so much going on and too much homework. It's more a temporary community and not the same. There are no football games to go sit and watch. No small town things going on. Maybe it's just that the Cities are too big for me. I miss the small community fun.

I'm not really sure what made me think of this. Just a thought for the moment and another realization about what makes my life a little more grounded and full. It's always good to realize a little bit more what I want and need in my life.

The other thing that I am sure of right now is that I need sleep. Only to be back here at the infodesk tomorrow morning at 7:30am.

No comments: